Local News

Court Of Appeal Dismisses Afoko’s Application

The Court of Appeal has dismissed an application that sought to challenge the revocation of bail granted Gregory Afoko who is accused of killing former chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Adams Mahama.

The Three Member Court of Appeal judges, stated that the conditions that led to the bail granted him had changed the reason the application was dismissed.

The panel presided over by Justice Barbara Ackah-Yensu with Justice George Koomson and Justice Eric Kyei-Baffour as members, ruled that lawyer for Gregory Afoko could not convince the court to overturn the high court’s decision.

Gregory Afoko, who is one of the accused standing trial for the alleged murder of the late Adams Mahama, in 2015, challenged the decision by an Accra High Court to revoke his bail.

A High Court judge, Justice George Buadi on March 14, 2019 granted Gregory Afoko bail in the sum of 500,000 cedis with two sureties one to be justified but the bail was later revoked by another High Court judge, Justice Merley Afua Wood.

Lawyers for the accused therefore, appeared at the Court of Appeal to review the decision to revoke the bail which was subsequently denied.

In advancing his argument, counsel for the accused, Steven Sowah Charwey, cited the nolle prosequi filed by the Attorney-General on January 28, 2019 that sought to discontinue Afoko’s trail after it travelled for more than three years as bases for the revocation of the bail.

The Attorney-General filed the no case after the arrest of Asabke Alandi, who is alleged to have conspired with Afoko to commit the crime.

The state then started another committal proceedings against the two at the District Court which led to them being sent to the High Court for trial.

Justice Wood who took over the case as a Court of Appeal judge sitting in as an additional High Court judge, revoked the bail granted Afoko.

This was based on the AG’s argument that the circumstances that led to granting of the bail had changed.

Adams Mahama is said to have suffered severe bodily injuries after a substance suspected to be acid was allegedly poured on him in front of his house in Bolgatanga on May 20, 2015.

He later died from the injuries at the Bolgatanga General Hospital.

Source: 3news

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button